Dr Matthew Thurley
Principal Scientist – Innovative Machine Vision Pty Ltd
Goal: optimisation of particle processes, to provide online robust PSD measurements to facilitate closed-loop automatic control applications for crushing, grinding, agglomeration, and other particle processes
Description of the system: 3D measurement of the surface of the material on conveyor
Pictures of the 3D data, high resolution, ideal for particle delineation
Boliden Mining Company example: 4 systems across 3 mines. Installations after primary crusher, and before grinding mills. Why Boliden bought 3DPM
Example from closed loop control of an agglomeration circuit
Why 3DPM works and is robust, stable, reliable, ideal for automatic control
Summary of example installations across a wide range of materials
- Matthew is Founder and Principal Scientist at Innovative Machine Vision.
- He has a PhD in 3D imaging and algorithms for particle size distribution measurement, and is an Associate Professor in Image Processing
- Previously he worked as a software engineer at CSIRO exploration and mining, and most recently as an academic at Lulea University of Technology in Sweden
- He specialises in automated image analysis and machine vision systems with a particular focus on applications in mining and steel.
- In particular he is an internationally leading researcher and developer of fully automated particle size distribution measurement systems using 3D imaging that represent a step-change in technology over traditional photographic systems.